Bear Creek High School began in 1894 as the Montana School. This one-room school house served grades one through eight until 1929.
In 1923, a consolidated school was formed to give the area its first high school serving grades one through 12, graduating five seniors in its first year.
In 1952, Bear Creek Consolidated School became Bear Creek High School, now a part of the Jefferson County R-1 School District. The building was destroyed by fire in 1959 and in 1962 a new school housed Bear Creek's students. This building served as the home of the Bears until March of 2009 when Bear Creek's students and staff moved into their new school built on a 36-acre site that once held the original Montana School.
For more information about Bear Creek's history or to get involved in preserving our historical heritage, visit the Bear Creek Foundation Web site.
The new Bear Creek High School was designed to hold 2000 students and to support their varied talents and interests.
Visual and performing arts classrooms are housed in the south wing of the building which includes vocal and instrumental rooms, a 564-seat auditorium and three art studios with digital art, ceramic, jewelry and photography capabilities.
Two gymnasiums, a weight room, a football field, two multipurpose fields, baseball and softball diamonds and four tennis courts support our physical education and athletic programs while our academic side enjoys state-of-the-art access to technology including wireless Internet throughout the building, over 65 classrooms and a lecture hall equipped with interactive white boards and 600 laptop computers for students to use throughout the day.
Our library houses over 18,000 volumes and provides students with a comfortable place to study, access to computers, online databases and research and technology help.